• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Shining Force Alternate

Shining Force Alternate V3.1C Hotfix

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Erikin84 updated Shining Force Alternate with a new update entry:

V1.1g release

So, I've given Elliot a little more use of his weapon during your battle with him at Chapter 4. Elliot will now use the Piece Maker to buff himself during the battle, so be sure to keep your distance from him and let your tanks do the dirty work, eh? Also, his flurry range is his default attack...so keep that in mind if you try to swarm around him.

Elliot also has some new frames with added flame effect when he uses the Piece Maker, and he won't drop it when you defeat him.

I've corrected...

Read the rest of this update entry...

klooste8

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I made a whole account just to tell you I played your through and it was very well done. Not too hard, not too easy, and with humor that doesn't destroy the whole mood of the original which is what I was afraid of when I first saw "Maxine." True to the title "alternate" it's not hard mode it's not Hank Hill mode, just a bit different in all the right ways.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
I made a whole account just to tell you I played your through and it was very well done. Not too hard, not too easy, and with humor that doesn't destroy the whole mood of the original which is what I was afraid of when I first saw "Maxine." True to the title "alternate" it's not hard mode it's not Hank Hill mode, just a bit different in all the right ways.
Thanks! It's been a great experience putting together.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
hi . at first im sorry for my bad english ... and thanks for your hard work... im beging you to help me how to install mods for this game... im using Emuls but i dont know how to use mods for this game... please help me
Hi, what you need is patcher, I like to use IPS Lunar Patcher. Grab the ips file and the patcher, and when you double click on the ips file, you'll be prompted to select a file to patch, select the original .bin file version. After that, you'll know if it worked as I edited the prologue and title screen.

Keywing

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I made an account exclusively to thank you and the rest of the dev team for all your hard work.
It was like taking a walk through my childhood again but with new surprises.
Some characters who were previously underwhelming turn out to be absolute monsters on the battlefield.
The spells were nice and the item activated spells were a great change of pace. M-Staff OP son!

Again, thank you all for this mod. It truly was fantastic and I got to finish the game with a 157 damage crit against D.D. with Maxine. :D
I'd be absolutely thrilled if you lot ever do an overhaul mod for SF2. Ya know...Just to let us know how a certain old man is doing.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
I made an account exclusively to thank you and the rest of the dev team for all your hard work.
It was like taking a walk through my childhood again but with new surprises.
Some characters who were previously underwhelming turn out to be absolute monsters on the battlefield.
The spells were nice and the item activated spells were a great change of pace. M-Staff OP son!

Again, thank you all for this mod. It truly was fantastic and I got to finish the game with a 157 damage crit against D.D. with Maxine. :D
I'd be absolutely thrilled if you lot ever do an overhaul mod for SF2. Ya know...Just to let us know how a certain old man is doing.
Thanks! I'm glad you had fun with SFA, I do plan to do a sequel set in SF2's gameworld. But that will be a long time from now, but it's something I'd want to do, for sure. Right now I'm just making new spritesets for all the characters in SF2 for a Graphic Upgrade, but after that is done, I'll probably start on SFA2.

Caldera

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Greetings! I have created an account here specifically to thank you all for your excellent work creating this mod, as I have had an absolute blast with it. This had completely brought back those nostalgic moments from my childhood. Currently with a full time job & university keeping me busier than ever, I still allocate time on my days off to play this mod when i can. ^_^

The reworks of special use items have been so much more efficient than what you would find in vanilla. Also, i'm not sure if anybody is aware of this, but the Valkyrie has an interesting bug.

Anyways, thanks again! :)

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Erikin84 updated Shining Force Alternate with a new update entry:

V2.0

A really big update this time! It has been just over one year since its initial release, and it has steadily grown in its storytelling and execution. I am proud to be apart of this community and I hope you all enjoy the new changes!

One thing you'll notice right out of the gate, Maxine now has access to Fire magic! Give her an excuse to have all that MP points, am I right?

What're the other changes you may ask? Well, for starters, all the balance has been reworked to be more engaging...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Alexander

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Sorry for the long, long wall of text.
Hey Erikin, I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your Shining Force Alternate mod. As I am sure many SF fans feel the same, the SF series were my favorite games growing up (and still are), so to see a mod with the amount of love, creativity and execution is a dream come true. I love the characters you've added and happy to finally see a female protagonist (bout time). I cannot express the joy I've had playing something so familiar, yet new and exciting.

Not to carry on too long, but I stumbled upon SF mods years ago even though I am not the savviest guy when it comes to modding, emulators or computers in general, but when I saw what some folks were doing or had done with the SF caravan and the editors I was blown away and childhood wishes came running back to me. The new characters, stories what I could add and change etc. what all could be created. I then soon realized it would take far more skills and understanding than I had to figure it out and make it a reality. So finding SF Alternate and seeing what you accomplished has me just in awe and how it was a long aspiration finally coming true! Thank you for your hard work and for giving us SF fans another amazing experience! Keep it up and I can't wait to see what you come up with next (SF2 Alternate perhaps!?).

Lastly, I literally found this about a week or two ago and started playing with any free time I had. After I finished the Waral battle and started promoting, I noticed there was still promotion sickness so I came back to this site to make sure I hadn't misread that there shouldn't be anymore and that is when I saw that you have a new version of SFA that just came out. If I can get the mod working (I can't unpack the patch .rar file using 7-zip on my windows 7 and neither Lunar or IPSwin20 would allow me to patch) would it work with my current saves or would I need to start over?

Thank you again!

ShadowArtist

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
why is the ability to save in the game via a church locked? Using save states on a Mega Everdrive X7 is spotty and cumbersome. Any chance of the in-game saving being usable again?

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
why is the ability to save in the game via a church locked? Using save states on a Mega Everdrive X7 is spotty and cumbersome. Any chance of the in-game saving being usable again?
It's locked off because of the way the hack was created through the 6mb expansion. It's not something I particularly like, but it's something that's manageable if you have access to savestates.

Rhys_Landale

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
so having an issue with getting the mod to work for the .smd file for Shining Force, any chance I can get a bit of help