• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Shining Force Alternate

Shining Force Alternate V3.1C Hotfix

nash

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
The picodrive is the psp version of the gens emulator for windows. I am asking for save states around that part of the game (before the balbazak battle) for the kega fusion to play on pc because it seems it is safer to play the game that way. Too bad because the picodrive never crashed before, the rom was working flawlessly on that emulator

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
The main reason is because SFA's rom has been expanded to 6mb. Most genesis emulators are only compatible with 4mb(which is the norm).

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
There is a update coming in the near future. So what id recommend is come back when it drops so it'll be easier to replay since a lot will be different

mesiah21

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I am not familiar with how to apply the patch. I have Kega Fusion and a fresh copy of SF1. I can play the game on there no problem. But I am not sure how to apply the patch so I can try out Shining Force Alternate. Definitely appreciate any help. Guessing I am just missing something obvious...

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I am not familiar with how to apply the patch. I have Kega Fusion and a fresh copy of SF1. I can play the game on there no problem. But I am not sure how to apply the patch so I can try out Shining Force Alternate. Definitely appreciate any help. Guessing I am just missing something obvious...
You need Lunar IPS patcher to apply the patch. A link to it is in the mod description.

Mr.47

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I just finished the game mod yesterday
And here is my totally honest opinion :

Boken is hands down the best character in the whole mod + he is based+his humor is the best + would love to see him in every mod because he's just as good as deadpool and he IS self aware.

Well I liked the mod a lot would've loved if you added more characters but also I love the fact that there is replaceable characters .(spoilers alert):

When a character died it's replaceable.

Anyways I really love the new graphics and improvements would still love if you actually changed the whole story to fit the alternate theme but here is a big + in my book which is Armors still you can't buy them rather find them which makes them a rarity and worthy but still would be possible to be bought as a small improvement.

Xeno although a great concept but wasn't executed really well IE(the machines upgrade gears that you acquire in battles) would've been possible to craft them or buy them also laser would've improved in damage by time and adapt a new spell power like the ancient laser eye attack or even multi targeting laser spell lvl4 as a small buff.

The Battle system was really tough rough and hard but worth the forced grinding which makes the team strong also BTW you could've made secret promotions as a reward to find secret items in the game as(teppou) for example that gives the long range class a damage attack advantage.

The mod was really fun catching me always off guard and either makes me laugh or surprise me at some points.
A lot of good concepts were introduced in this mod like the chaos breaker,spells for normal characters, armors, new weapons and mechanics

I love it would like to see more like it.

Draggyk

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hi. Relatively recently, I began to re-pass shining force on the emulator, the case saw the passage of your mod to YouTube and was stunned. I did not expect that someone would make their own alternative view of the game and make their own remake, ala "what if". In addition, they completely changed the character system thanks to which the old NPCs became playable, Elliot alone is worth something! I am very shocked and glad of your work done! It's a pity the truth, as I understand it, most likely this will not happen with the second part ... Ps sorry if I write badly, I don't know English well, I write from Russia :)

RedArcher

Shining Buddy
Pixel Artist
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello from Russia, Draggyk! The truth is, SFA2 is POSSIBLE, since there is a repository called SF2DISASM, which allows to do a lot with the 2nd game sources. It's created by the man nicknamed Wiz.

I assume Erikin wants to finish SFA first and then start a new project, which may be SFA2.

Draggyk

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
So ... I passed your mod ... it was WOW. Liked:
1. In principle, almost all new skills for non-mage characters for group and ranged attacks, new items (I really found very little armor), etc. A separate plot with Musashi and Abel is also normal.
2. The young Astral was made a plot character, as well as Elliot.
3 fight with the Eye of Ode
4. Separate sprite and item when you get ancient armor, surprised.
5. The alternate plot itself is cool.
Did not like:
1.The character Mei was killed at the very beginning ... I was really surprised, she has her own class, animation skills, good warrior performance and bang her end in the very first chapter ...
2. Similarly, it is strange that Aleph was killed. I thought the trick of the game was to go through the story with a different view of the world and different characters, which in fact it was, but why then make Anri, like in the original, the main magician?
3. I didn’t like the Astral, as a rule, it only interfered with me and was constantly dying to the flesh until the end of the game, the main magic was from Maxine, Anri, Boken and the spirit of Lobo.
4. Battles where it was necessary to break through the opponents like a "ram" took out the brain.
5. HP regeneration from bosses ... it was some kind of mockery. Especially when 12 people in the squad damage ate-ate 5xp each, and they regenerate 20-30xp or more ... It's easier for the finale, especially at the very end, but in the beginning it is straightforward anguish.
5. The dragon was killed :( Sadly ....
Characters:
1. Lobo is an SSS+ character. By the end of the game, he was the strongest, including Maxine with the Chaos breaker. But Maxine's sword can strike remotely and hard at bosses. The SPIRIT skill is stronger than that of magicians ...
2. Maxine throughout the game is "average", but closer to the final is quite powerful. Her level 4 fire magic, together with other magicians, made it possible to destroy half of the enemy's troops by the end of the game in 2-3 turns.
3. Varis and Elliot are average ... but Varis is more tanking, perhaps, there is a distance.
4. Elliot is just average ... Armor and survivability are very low.
5.Amon is VERY powerful, especially towards the end of the game, he killed her opponents no worse than for Lobo, but less armor ... but tenacious
6. Anri A very strong magician, no pretensions. By the end of the game, she destroyed opponents in literally large groups.
7. Xeno is medium at the beginning, but very powerful at the end + tanking. The laser is also powerful.
8. Diana is a killer ... Very large direct powerful ranged damage, but inferior to Xeno in survivability.
9. Boken is a very cool universal character and very tenacious to boot, also original. Towards the end of the game, together with Lobo, he takes out opponents very powerfully.
10. Lowe is an excellent healer and very tenacious, always saving everyone.
11. Abel ... average, but tenacious. It seems like no one finally killed him + good aura ... no pretensions.
12. Astral A very weak magician, there are claims ... to give him all the bread for hp unambiguously. to see the great magician was fed very little in childhood :( Lightning is not very effective and very "curved". He was killed constantly, in contrast to Anri, which by the end of any battle remained with a full supply of health. The boost never came in handy at all ... As it seemed to me, he is literally the weakest character in the squad, even healers like the same Lowe survived all battles, Astral dies with 1-2 hits. It is very difficult to pump it ...

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Erikin84 updated Shining Force Alternate with a new update entry:

Small update

Hello.

While the development team is working hard on 3.0, there's been a couple of issues that have plagued players. So this small update aims to correct them.

The fixes are as follows:
1. King's speech at Waral is no longer utilizing the shops(two merchants are now sitting at those spots). Since The King was getting bugged out and not using the correct branching dialogue paths, the easiest method to correct this was to detach him from the shopkeeper roles.

2. The Oath Keeper is now in...

Read the rest of this update entry...

DragonLord1975

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I’m watching Shining Force Alternate on YouTube. Sensational! I love Alones’ icon design.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Cheers on 3.0 releasing! I reckon I'll have to binge this while I'm working today!

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Partway through Chapter 1, noticed a small bug(?). Mae loves walking through that circled barrel. Looked kinda jarring.

EDIT: After talking with the guard, she also just walked straight through a wall and the bushes.

1685540229107.png

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Chapter 1 done, and needless to say, I'm impressed! It already feels like I'm playing an entirely different hack (Like I did when comparing 1.0 to 2.0), and the technical things on display here are amazing (might need to borrow Xeno's black magic he did here for a project of mine haha!)

I'd like to go into the story, but don't wanna spoil it for anyone else. It's really darn good.

Also, shoutouts to Barkley. I wish that he was a usable force member. That's the one thing that stops this from being a 10/10. On to Chapter 2!

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
First fight of Chapter 2... I *think* Power Throw Level 1 is broken. In the sense I can't use it at all. That intentional, or...?

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Arright, Chapter 2 done!

I'll say it again, the things you and your team pulled off for this hack are astounding. Think my favorite battle from this chapter would easily have been the Church Battle; the way you added the courtyard into it was great.

Another thing, the 'power creep' from 2.0 (by that I mean characters quickly outpowering one another), seems to be absent, so that's good! I also like how you're ENCOURAGED to use your spells like Sleep and Poison (saved me against the Ravager)

Also... I like the potential implication that Alef might somehow survive being dragged down. Don't know how but we've seen crazier in other media.

Another thing, the level of detail you've gone through for cutscenes and character dialogue is amazing. Also, don't mind me over here in the corner totally not simping over Anri and Mishaela's updated portraits/designs. Nope. Not the grown-ass almost 20 year old adult. Not me.

Good stuff so far.