• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Resource icon

Force Member Earnest (Custom Sprites)

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
The new look fits Earnest to a T. Nearly dropped my coffee looking at this! Im eager to see what you do with Arthur down the road (Maybe a mage knight of sorts). I remember a while back on sfc you showcased some playable enemies ever plan on continuing that at one point? Id love to see a DarkElf/Pegasus Knight or even Chaos/Ramladu. Excuse my rambling but im a bit excited but i am always looking forward to you and Dans work. Btw Earnest looks like a beast with the oath-keeper from the Graphic Overhaul Hack.

Attachments

• oathkeeper.png
    oathkeeper.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Thank you, man! Earnest has always been a favourite of mine since I was a kid. He always struck me as a dude that had lost everything and was driven by revenge. Working with Dan on this was a lot of fun. And he doesn't look half bad wielding a sword!

I can't remember all of the artwork I posted on SFC, but from memory here are some of the completed playable enemy characters that have been completed over the years (this includes battle art, recoloured/tweaked map sprites, and portraits):
  • Minotaur
  • Goblin riding a Torch Eye (this was a heckuva lot of fun)
  • Lizardman
  • Darksol (melee)
  • Elliott
  • Balbazak
  • Darksol (swordsman)
  • Odd Eye
  • Ghoul
  • Chaos (probably my favourite)
  • Ramladu
Probably more... will be able to see the full list when I'm back at my main PC.

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Holy Cow! i didnt realize you had that many guys completed im happy to see Ramladu and Chaos done! Hopefully we will see them all here soon

Last edited:

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Oh heck yeah, me and Dan have been at this for years without stopping. Together we've designed... maybe 50 new playable characters? And I've lost count of weapon sprites, item sprites, map sprites, portraits, and whatever else for each. And that doesn't even include the enemy units or bosses...

Let me know which character most tickles your fancy and I'll get him or her uploaded within the next few days.

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Chaos to start off lol after that i would probaly say Ramladu and Balbazak. And possibly lizardman (ive been trying to visualize what the portrait would look like lol). Im glad to see you have so much done already 50 new characters is insane im even more excited than before.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Your wish is my command! ;)

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Chaos to start off lol after that i would probaly say Ramladu and Balbazak. And possibly lizardman (ive been trying to visualize what the portrait would look like lol). Im glad to see you have so much done already 50 new characters is insane im even more excited than before.
I’d say take gerhalt’s promoted portrait from SF2, after some tweaking and light drawing, could pass for a lizard

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
I’d say take gerhalt’s promoted portrait from SF2, after some tweaking and light drawing, could pass for a lizard
Not a bad idea! Here's what Dan came up with back in 2017, but I think he's set for a 2018 update:

cNo40UG.png

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to double post but as i was getting Earnest set up with his new class and getting his animations all done i was thinking about promotions and figured i would share my idea his promoted class would be Black Knight the sprite would look like his sprite from ROTDD (Black armor instead of blue). Anyways just thought i would give you ideas to play with and should you need anymore i would be more than happy to help lol its the least i could do. bknt earnest.png

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Looks good to me, I thought about using the GBA version of him when I was making the extended battle sprite layout, but It was easier to take the original bodies and place new heads(this means no fiddling with the animations, other than target the new sprites to work with default animations :), plus I didn’t have to worry about running into any limitations as to how many animations could be made).

I should just make a bunch of animations me and see if the game stops working after a certain point