• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Resource icon

Enemy/Boss Earnest

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Earnest is going to be a boss before becoming playable? I like it. What kind of tweaks will you be giving him? I feel like it would make more sense for him to have better stats than what the game gave him considering he beat a Cerberus when none of your team is strong enough to deal with that enemy at this point.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
This one slipped me by, too! Hope you decide to finish the set! Earnest looks great as an enemy.

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Very good erikin!

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Looks perfect! Just trying to think of a reason to rationalise Earnest joining Runefaust... Something something revenge Balbazak... Something something Darksol manipulates Earnest into doing his bidding in order to get those he lost resurrected?

(Who even did Balbazak kill, I forget. I know it all happened during the sacking of Uranbatol)

Last edited:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Looks perfect! Just trying to think of a reason to rationalise Earnest joining Runefaust... Something something revenge Balbazak... Something something Darksol manipulates Earnest into doing his bidding in order to get those he list resurrected?

(Who even did Balbazak kill, I forget. I know it all happened during the sacking of Uranbatol)
Perhaps undercover to find Balbazak

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
@Xeno Oh man, I was pretty off about Uranbatol, then. Such a shame that Earnest's backstory was not better portrayed in the westernised version of SF1.

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
From the SF Character Translations thread at SFC:

Earnest has royal blood, his country 'Thermal' was destroyed by Balbazak during his campaign. Thermal was a tiny nation bordering Runefaust that got overrun early on.

This story as well as this town named 'Thermal' doesn't exist in original Shining Force though. (Neither in RtDD, I think?)

It's addessed as retrieved from a 'Japanese fan site through a translator', which, in time is supposed to 'cite sources from some of the official addon books'.

Though I'd love to have all of these books in hand, I don't think all those side stories would fit the original game very well.
At least, not as an ingame story, I mean.

That said, in japanese version of SF, Earnest says something like 'Balbazak destroyed my town and/or family'.
Then he says he's going to Uranbatol where he intends to join Balbazak's army so he can get near and slaughter (backstab?) him.
Once Max gets back to Pao (the second Pao), someone says that 'Earnest departed to Uranbatol without honor.' or something like that.
Maybe he's referring to his plan of going undercover, swear allegiance and then betray Balbazak.
He probably should have joined the Shining Force before, to honorably fight his way to the vaillain.

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Well, here are the original translation quotes from Siel:

First Pao:
Centaur in the wagon in the middle:
I am Earnest the knight. My home was destroyed by Balbazak... I will go to Uranbatol, where they employ knights. And then, my dream is to carry out my revenge...

When back to Pao:
Woman inside the wagon to the east:
You defeated Elliott-sama? ... Those were magnificient final moments. Compared to that, [Earnest would have indecently run away to the fortress of Uranbatol?].
Old man in the wagon to the right of the town's entrance:
So you defeated Elliott-sama... If he was defeated by you, then he should have no regrets. Leaving that aside... if you will take down Uranbatol, it has to be now! Earnest went to break into the fortress. Please go back him up at once!
Guard to the left in the same house:
Beyond here is Uranbatol, a fortress built by Runefaust. You can't go to the harbor unless you go through there. The knight Earnest took his subordinates and went to Uranbatol. He's a reckless guy...

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14517&start=144

Last edited:

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the correction @Lobo. I took for granted that this blurb came straight from the Shining Force Encyclopedia, rather than a fansite.

Really interesting bit about Earnest planning to join Runefaust in order to get close to and kill Balbazak! That explains why he's wearing Runefaust armor in-game, unlike on the promotional artwork. I guess the designers may have come up with this story later in development.

Anyway, it seems like the idea of the Force having to fight Earnest is not so far-fetched, after all!