• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Fixed Enabling Extended Characters causes all Force members to use battle sprite #0

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Tyadran said:
Extended Characters causes all characters to use Sprite 0 in battle (or it may just use Max's, not positive).

(source)

Also confirmed by ShininGeek and monkbarron.

monkbarron said:
Even after promoting a 'Max-Stuck' custom character, they still retain Max's Sprites.

After some investigation, Tyadran discovered...

Tyadran said:
So I'm starting to see the issue. At address 0x71300 Rubix has a table of unpromoted battle sprite IDs, and at 0x71380 is the table of promoted IDs. Through testing I found that promoting a character gives them Max's promoted sprite (assuming you set it in the editor after turning on Extended Characters).

What this means is that the Rubix's code is properly telling the game to look at the address for promoted sprites, but for some reason never tells it to move to further positions in the table based on character ID. This is what's causing all characters (promoted or unpromoted) to look like Max - all unpromoted characters are looking at address 0x71300, and all promoted characters are looking at address 0x71380.

Last edited:

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
I think this issue was resolved with the more recent update to the editor

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
I believe so too, but when I raised it with @rubixcuber on Discord he mentioned that for certain issues (not explicitly referring to this one, however) it would be wise to hold off a little longer before labelling them as fixed. I imagine with the big editor update that's on the horizon, there's a chance that previously fixed errors might return to being... unfixed?

I also gave RC staff privileges so that he could mark threads as fixed if he wanted to.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
ok, sounds good