• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas for new enemies

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Just a quick response - less time than I'd hoped for, unfortunately!

Regarding palette swaps: I'm not against these at all - I have a few in place right now, but they mainly consist of 'restored' enemy units, such as the 'purple Dark Dwarf', 'purple Goblin', 'orange Lizardman' sprites. I kind of justify it as Sega were perhaps intending to use these as enemies but ran out of time or memory, so why not build off of their foundation. Typically, if I'm looking to add a brand new enemy, they will include a brand spanking new set of battle sprites, map sprites and if necessary a unique portrait. Happy to perform the necessary palette swaps for anyone who needs a hand, but LIL looks like he's got ya covered. ;)
  • Manticore: It's on the to-do list. Woo-hoo!
  • Hippogriff: Looks pretty cool and also a creature I wasn't previously familiar with. Perhaps a little too similar to the wyvern or chimaera, so not sure about this one...
  • Druid: Dan designed something similar a year or so ago, although we called it the 'Dark Disciple':
    eoVLVtM.png
  • Leviathan: Very high on the to-do list!
  • Fenrir: Also on the to-do list. My goal is to give this fella a nice big battle sprite to reflect the Nordic mythos
  • Fafnir: I'm interested... sounds exotic!
  • Banshee: I likey! Might add this one to the list.
  • Spectre: Me and Dan planned a similar enemy in 2016, only we called it the 'Wraith'; he's due for a big overhaul but here's how he ended up back then:
    jnJykfs.png
  • Gremlin: Could utilise the unfinished purple Goblin palette swap. I used to refer to this iteration as the 'Imp' but since he sports similar colours to the Ghoul, I had him appear during the Shade Abbey battle.
  • Vampire: Yes, yes, yes! I'm rally surprised that aside from Lemon in SF2, there exists no vampire enemies to fight in the early series (maybe they appeared in later games, but I haven't played beyond SF3). I have the Vampire higher on my to-do list as a playable character, but there's always room for more enemies!
  • Kraken: They did this enemy so well in SF2, that I don't think I could do it justice in SF1, especially given the current limitations of map sprite sizing. Also, I had completely forgotten that a Kraken appears in RoDD! I've completed that game twice and I really can't recall where the Force fights him... hmm. Although, after checking his sprites on spriters-resource, it seems that he really does exist and my memory just isn't on its A-game today!
  • Ogre: This was a very early project for me and Dan, and looking at it now I feel that there are many areas that could be improved upon, but here be he:
    Cfw0jnR.png
  • Troll: Now this was another early project which I still to this day really like - the result was pretty much spot-on and Dan really nailed it. Here be the (two-headed) Troll:
    eQZESs7.png
Let me know which of RS's suggestions you like the most and I'll run them further up the to-do list.
Lemon is more a Daywalker though. The kind of vampire I had in mind is the more stereotypical run of the mill kind that most people think about.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
While we're talking about Lemon - I love his character but the battle sprites were so underwhelming. Why couldn't he have retained his Red Baron stance? Why does his armour change? I'm hoping to get a Red Baron Sprite set done soon.

Last edited:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
While we're talking about Lemon - I love his character but the battle sprites were so underwhelming. Why couldn't he have retained his Red Baron stance? Why does his armour change? I'm hoping to get a Red Baron Sprite set done soon.
Looks like Steve might have read my mind about Lemon being in moto

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Holy moly! Now that is pretty frigging cool right there @DiegoMM .

DiegoMM

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
And its still uses 16 colors, you can count! I did for use with sf2 while ago.

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Indeed. He felt so generic. Like just another Baron. I'm so glad Erikin fixed this in his Graphic Overhaul mod.

Ivan_Cal

Shining Buddy
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
I think i have battle sprites for all those ideas in my folder (many of which are already available in this site). Ask me if youre lacking any of them.

Ivan_Cal

Shining Buddy
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Yes please. Please show me what you have.
I'm not home right now, I'll send you some related stuff I have in my folder tomorrow or in a couple days max. If I happen to forget about it, don't hasitate to remind me!

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
More new enemy ideas:

1. Lich (New Undead Enemy. Has Desoul as an attack.)
2. Rune Gladiator (New Axe-wielding Enemy. Stronger than the Armed Skeleton.)
3. Ramladu Bodyguard (New Enemy that carries a Halberd. Is stronger than the Blue Dragon stat-wise. And two of them appear in the fight with Ramladu and will come down to attack you when you get close enough to try to prevent you from reaching Ramladu.)
4. Abomination (Hideous ugly deformed demonic monster from Hell.)
5. Hitokiri (New Samurai enemy. Wields a Katana.)
5. Maenad (More powerful version of the minotaur)
6. Satyr (New mythical monster enemy)

Last edited: