• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas for new enemies

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I know nothing of how to mod games sadly so I just wanna share some ideas for new enemies to face in a future mod for this game:

1. Legendary Dragon: (Uses Blue Dragon Sprite but with a red color palette. And has the highest level of Fire Breath. Is also more powerful than the Blue Dragon like how the Cerberus is stronger than the Hellhound and so on. Weak to Freeze magic.)

2. Jabberwock: (Uses Blue Dragon Sprite but with a black color palette and breathes Darksol's demon blaze instead of Ice or Fire. Strongest Dragon-Type enemy.)

3. Succubus: (Would look similar to the harpy from Shining Force 2 but with devil wings. It would also have a Sleep Spell and a more powerful version of the Evil Puppet's health absorption incantation attack. Like how the Cerberus has stronger fire breath than the Hellhound and so on. If you're familiar with what a Succubus is and does you can probably see where I'm going with this. Plus they're a common enemy in a lot of RPGs. Or maybe give it Slow instead of Sleep for the sake of more variety.)

5. Manticore: (Just for the sake of having a new kind of mythical creature to fight)

6. Hippogriff: (Again, Just for the sake of having a new kind of mythical creature to fight)

7. Druid: (Would use an alternate color palette of the Demon Master. Maybe black or purple. and would have Desoul. Should make for a nice challenging new enemy.)

8. Imperial Knight: (Superior version of the Silver Knight. And wields a Steel Lance. Same sprites as the Silver Knight and Rune Knight but with a different color palette of course.)

9. Imperial Paladin: (Superior version of the Imperial Knight. One of Ramladu's elites. Same sprite as the Silver Knight and Rune Knight but with a different color palette of course. And map sprite looks buff like one of your promoted centaurs and wields a Chrome Lance. Should probably have a different battle sprite and animation too.)

10. Leviathan: (A new boss to fight for one of the sea battles. Basically a giant sea snake. Weak to Bolt Magic.)

11. Fenrir: (New dog enemy like the Hellhound and Cerberus. But with Ice Breath. Resistant to Freeze Magic. Weak to Blaze Magic.)

12. Fafnir: (New Dragon Type enemy. Breathes Lightning. Resistant to Bolt Magic.)

13. Banshee: (Based on the Wizary from RotDD. Same thing but different name. I just thought this name made more sense.)

14. Spectre: (Based on the Ghost from RotDD. Same thing but with different name.)

15. Gremlin: (Has Goblin's sprite but different stats and color palette)

Hopefully reading this will give ideas to the modders here. And I hope you guys like what I came up with. I wish I could make my own mods too.

Last edited:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Love these ideas and i plan to make use of these in Movement Of The Odyssey. Here Is the Legendary Dragon ( First Draft but still )
Legend Dragon.png

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Of course your ideas could not only help me but assist in ideas for graphic guys like Steve,Dan and Lynx (not me XD). Great work much appreciated do keep me posted when you have more ideas i can never have enough Merci!!

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
It would be an honor.:)

Here's some more off the top of my head. I also updated my first post:

1. Vampire: (New undead enemy. Will require the creation of new sprites. Even stronger than the Ghoul. The Vampire is now the most powerful undead enemy. Immune to Desoul, strong against Freeze Magic but weak to Blaze Magic and has a more powerful version of the Evil Puppet's health absorption incantation attack as the aforementioned Succubus does.)

2. Kraken: (New boss for one of the sea battles. Figured this could be in one and the Leviathan could be in another. Up to you which you think should be in the first and second sea battles. Should probably give the Kraken it's RotDD sprites for consistency with Shining Force 2. I mean it wouldn't make sense for the Kraken to be dead in this game and alive in Shining Force 2 after all. That's why this is a different Kraken than the one in Shining Force 2.)

3. Lesser Devil: (Same sprites as the Gargoyle and Belial but with a red color palette. Can cast Blaze Level 3.)

4. Ogre: (New mythical monster to fight. Big green and ugly monster that attacks using a club.)

5. Troll: (New mythical monster to fight. More powerful version of the Ogre. But with a purple color palette instead of green.)

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
I was going to respond to this message later on this evening when the kids are in bed (I'm literally about to race out to pick up the little ones from school), but I just wanted to quickly say that those are some incredible ideas and I am very eager to respond to them properly later on today. Also, I believe that I have a few of your ideas already brought to life and available on my hard drive, which I'll try and tidy up and get uploaded ASAP. I won't spoil which ones just yet, hehe...

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to respond to this message later on this evening when the kids are in bed (I'm literally about to race out to pick up the little ones from school), but I just wanted to quickly say that those are some incredible ideas and I am very eager to respond to them properly later on today. Also, I believe that I have a few of your ideas already brought to life and available on my hard drive, which I'll try and tidy up and get uploaded ASAP. I won't spoil which ones just yet, hehe...
Glad to hear Steve we could always use more enimies!! Speaking of Enimies how are Ramladu and Balbazak coming along btw? Been loving Chaos Elliot and Brutus as they have been tons of fun to set up! Very excited to see the King himself in action along with a psychotic Admiral XD.

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
It would be an honor.:)

Here's some more off the top of my head. I also updated my first post:

1. Vampire: (New undead enemy. Will require the creation of new sprites. Even stronger than the Ghoul. The Vampire is now the most powerful undead enemy. Immune to Desoul, strong against Freeze Magic but weak to Blaze Magic and has a more powerful version of the Evil Puppet's health absorption incantation attack as the aforementioned Succubus does.)

2. Kraken: (New boss for one of the sea battles. Figured this could be in one and the Leviathan could be in another. Up to you which you think should be in the first and second sea battles. Should probably give the Kraken it's RotDD sprites for consistency with Shining Force 2. I mean it wouldn't make sense for the Kraken to be dead in this game and alive in Shining Force 2 after all. That's why this is a different Kraken than the one in Shining Force 2.)

3. Lesser Devil: (Same sprites as the Gargoyle and Belial but with a red color palette. Can cast Blaze Level 3.)

4. Ogre: (New mythical monster to fight. Big green and ugly monster that attacks using a club.)

5. Troll: (New mythical monster to fight. More powerful version of the Ogre. But with a purple color palette instead of green.)

Here is The revised LGND Dragon on top of the Jaberwock.
Dragons.png
As for the others i will get them all set up within the week. Man o man imma have my hands full with Movement Of The Odyssey this week

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Just a quick response - less time than I'd hoped for, unfortunately!

Regarding palette swaps: I'm not against these at all - I have a few in place right now, but they mainly consist of 'restored' enemy units, such as the 'purple Dark Dwarf', 'purple Goblin', 'orange Lizardman' sprites. I kind of justify it as Sega were perhaps intending to use these as enemies but ran out of time or memory, so why not build off of their foundation. Typically, if I'm looking to add a brand new enemy, they will include a brand spanking new set of battle sprites, map sprites and if necessary a unique portrait. Happy to perform the necessary palette swaps for anyone who needs a hand, but LIL looks like he's got ya covered. ;)
  • Manticore: It's on the to-do list. Woo-hoo!
  • Hippogriff: Looks pretty cool and also a creature I wasn't previously familiar with. Perhaps a little too similar to the wyvern or chimaera, so not sure about this one...
  • Druid: Dan designed something similar a year or so ago, although we called it the 'Dark Disciple':
    eoVLVtM.png
  • Leviathan: Very high on the to-do list!
  • Fenrir: Also on the to-do list. My goal is to give this fella a nice big battle sprite to reflect the Nordic mythos
  • Fafnir: I'm interested... sounds exotic!
  • Banshee: I likey! Might add this one to the list.
  • Spectre: Me and Dan planned a similar enemy in 2016, only we called it the 'Wraith'; he's due for a big overhaul but here's how he ended up back then:
    jnJykfs.png
  • Gremlin: Could utilise the unfinished purple Goblin palette swap. I used to refer to this iteration as the 'Imp' but since he sports similar colours to the Ghoul, I had him appear during the Shade Abbey battle.
  • Vampire: Yes, yes, yes! I'm rally surprised that aside from Lemon in SF2, there exists no vampire enemies to fight in the early series (maybe they appeared in later games, but I haven't played beyond SF3). I have the Vampire higher on my to-do list as a playable character, but there's always room for more enemies!
  • Kraken: They did this enemy so well in SF2, that I don't think I could do it justice in SF1, especially given the current limitations of map sprite sizing. Also, I had completely forgotten that a Kraken appears in RoDD! I've completed that game twice and I really can't recall where the Force fights him... hmm. Although, after checking his sprites on spriters-resource, it seems that he really does exist and my memory just isn't on its A-game today!
  • Ogre: This was a very early project for me and Dan, and looking at it now I feel that there are many areas that could be improved upon, but here be he:
    Cfw0jnR.png
  • Troll: Now this was another early project which I still to this day really like - the result was pretty much spot-on and Dan really nailed it. Here be the (two-headed) Troll:
    eQZESs7.png
Let me know which of RS's suggestions you like the most and I'll run them further up the to-do list.

bum_199

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
hey im not much good at enemy spriting from scratch but i like to do frankensprites. im ok at that i guess. i have plenty of ideas for enemies but i try to only use sprites i have permission to modify. i dont know if its ok with the stuff i see here. is it? i will put some up here when i have something decent but most of my stuff is from when i messed with rpgmaker. i didnt care for it much though. hacking for now but planning on trying the engine chaoswizard is working on in gamemaker. its looking good. hoping to have shining related sprites up soon though.

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Anything from Shining in the Darkness would be greatly appreciated. :sneaky:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Mephisto could open some doors for the Endgame of Movement of the Odyssey (Just a taste of how crazy things are gonna get)

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
hey im not much good at enemy spriting from scratch but i like to do frankensprites. im ok at that i guess. i have plenty of ideas for enemies but i try to only use sprites i have permission to modify. i dont know if its ok with the stuff i see here. is it? i will put some up here when i have something decent but most of my stuff is from when i messed with rpgmaker. i didnt care for it much though. hacking for now but planning on trying the engine chaoswizard is working on in gamemaker. its looking good. hoping to have shining related sprites up soon though.
Absolutely! Please feel free to modify the sprites I submit and also to share your work. Actually, I insist! ;)

I must confess to never having actually played SitD. I've owned a copy since my early 20s, but never got around to actually playing it. Are there any notable heroes or villains you'd like to see ported over to SF1?

Last edited:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely! Please feel free to modify the sprites I submit and also to share your work. Actually, I insist! ;)

I must confess to never having actually played SitD. I've owned a copy since my early 20s, but never got around to actually playing it. Are there any notable heroes or villains you'd like to see ported over to SF1?
Mephisto-idle.png
The main Villian would be a start look familar? Thats Darksols and Mishelas son Mephisto (From what i read) this sprite is ripped right from the game. I believe he has another form aswell will post when i find a suitable pic.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Mephisto has a pretty cool look; definitely takes more after his dad!

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Oh man, you gotta fix that, pronto!

If you like SF1, then you're gonna love SitD. :love:

EDIT: Look at that, I got a new title: Shining Buddy. Nifty!

Last edited:

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

EDIT: Look at that, I got a new title: Shining Buddy. Nifty!
I must confess. I love SF1 but I did not like SitD at all. To be fair I didn't play very far in it but I was very turned off by the battle style. It's the same problem I have with Dragon Quest. It's first person so you can't even see your character's attack animation. Is this what it's like the whole game? If not I'll give it another chance.

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
It's like that all the way.

I'm not a big fan of SitD either.
It took me over 20 years to get it finished. and I had to abuse savestates and even searched the web for some maps.
The whole game having just one town, one castle and one maze (which keeps getting expanded but has the same entry level), feels a little boring from time to time.

That said, the game has amazing sprites and music, that really feels like SF1 for obvious reasons. (y)(y)(y)
The animations inside the maze, from hidden enemies and things like that, are a great point too.
They definitely compensate the boredom feeling.

So, if not a great game projectwise, I find it to be a nice starting point to the Shining series.
And if you're looking for new sprites for SF1, there's probably no place better! ;)

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Here is The revised LGND Dragon on top of the Jaberwock.
View attachment 841
As for the others i will get them all set up within the week. Man o man imma have my hands full with Movement Of The Odyssey this week
Jabberwock needs to be darker and more evil looking IMO.

More like this:
5gckfoD.png

I know I goofed a little on one of the wings but you get the idea.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score

Oh - definitely. From what I've seen of it there is some pretty exceptional spritework sprinkled throughout the game, and for as much as I've immersed myself in the lore of SF1, SF2, I still think that the earlier games and even SFCD -- which I need to get around to playing, too -- have some fascinating tales to tell.