• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Shining Force: Movement of the Odyssey

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I’d imagine he’d be similar in stats to a warrior/gladiator. Maybe if it could be managed, to have his critical be a tail whip attack.

And since there are only two force members in the whole game that can wield axes, seems like the logical choice.
I like the route your suggesting with him being similar to the WARR class. Thats definitely a good start with him but i also want to have a reason to use him over Gort/Luke. Maybe a higher Defense/Res to magic at the cost of less attack but more Crit (his ATK would be Average maybe)

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
IMO a Lizardman's Attack should pack a punch, if not top tier then solid at least. The Lizardman enemy in SF1 has the "Critical Hit" special attack, so the critical rate should be good as well. They also have a pretty long shlong HP bar relative to their level, at the cost of a mediocre Defense. Maybe you could slap a slight weakness to ice on top to mitigate his spell tanking ability. Finally, you could give him just enough AGI so that he gets his turn before the warriors on average, all in all making him more suitable as an attacker rather than a tank.

In short, I'm suggesting to make Brutus the "Ken" to Luke's and Gort's "Mae". :) (The early game Ken and Mae, that is!)

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
I see i will work this into Brutus and test that result will share when completed

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Quick Update! This project now has a official title Shining Force: Movement of the Odyssey. There will be a bigger update later today

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
(Clapping really fast)

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Update is a little late my apologies i was knee deep in work. Today's update will be talking about a weapon rarity system on top of longer and tougher battle as well as the loosely covering the new heroes that will be joining you on this adventure.

--------------Weapon Rarity's (early concept being worked in gradually)------------------------------------
the concept is simple very powerful and unique weapons that can be obtained by meeting certain requirements and defeating special enemies.
As of now there are 3 weapon rarities
Legandary: Mostly story driven or boss drops these weapons give a good boost to a specific stat nothing more they can easily give you an edge for awhile.
Exotic: These weapons are secret all i can say is they come with abilites ;)
Mythic: These weapons are the strongest but there is a catch......

here are some weapon concepts as of now
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seven Moons (Sword): Grants 30 Atk Use ability: a special version of heal that can only be used on the user.

3 Scarred Days (Ring): Increases Crit by 20 Use Ability: Boost 1

Wolves Howl (Lance): Increases Atk by 30 Use Ability: Aura

Scaramouche (Lance): Increases atk by 20 Use ability: Desoul Bonus: Laser eye range if possible
------------------------------------Battle changes-------------------------------------------------
If its anything about shining force 1 that irritated me is the fact that the battles were too easy/too short we are fighting an army right? It always bugged me that Runefaust version of an army was 10 guys lol. I am well aware of the limitations of both the game and the editor so it will be tricky to remedy this but my idea is to add more enemies that will appear like reinforcements as the battle progresses enemies will also be tougher you will need to use everything at your disposal in order to win. There will also be Mini boss like enemies that drop alot good gear for your team.

I do plan on double updating today so expect more beans to be spilled later today.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Pretty ambitious. It’s gonna be legen...wait for it..dary

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
This all sounds awesome! And I'm digging the new title!

Regarding the Lizardman/Brutus stats. If it helps, here are the stats I've been using which according to my own stat rating system rates the character as somewhat balanced:

1M50cRw.png

Might be of some use to you, as I personally have a lot of trouble figuring out suitable stats for characters. The projected level 20 promoted stats also take into account the penalty applied to stats after promotion.

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
This all sounds awesome! And I'm digging the new title!

Regarding the Lizardman/Brutus stats. If it helps, here are the stats I've been using which according to my own stat rating system rates the character as somewhat balanced:

1M50cRw.png

Might be of some use to you, as I personally have a lot of trouble figuring out suitable stats for characters. The projected level 20 promoted stats also take into account the penalty applied to stats after promotion.
Interesting stuff Steve! Brutus has been a hard nut to crack this helps a ton Merci!

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
wowza its been awhile since i updated this! Work on MOTO is moving slow due to still learning the editor and work. However i have not given up! I try to squeeze in a good few hours before work to set up everything. The story as of now is about around chapter 7 in terms of writing and game wise chapter 1 is still being worked on this is due to alot of experimenting in order to spice the game up so it truly feels different from logi. Any questions you guys have i would love to hear them merci!!!

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Lockit :)

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you haven't given up. It takes some endurance to bring a project like this to completion, so good job getting this far.

Keep in mind that ROM hacking is not a sprint, but a marathon so keep running and bon courage !

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you haven't given up. It takes some endurance to bring a project like this to completion, so good job getting this far.

Keep in mind that ROM hacking is not a sprint, but a marathon so keep running and bon courage !
Couldn’t agree more

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
1535159060440.png
Here is something being worked on just a small little taste of whats being done atm. The weapon is called "City Of Wonder" and no it doesn't play nice

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Pretty cool looking :)

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Im back (again XD) with another wonderful little update on whats been going on with MOTO this week i have been testing some map ideas for the first 3 battle taking a little inspiration from Tyadran's Cendiel hack. Also a good chunk of my time working on Moto i have been converting the script i wrote into the actual game via dialogue. All this time and ive still only scracted the surface i love me a good challenge. Im not sure if i will have much to update on moto next week because Christmas season is coming in quick so im trying to wrap up as much as i can this week.