• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Fixed Town/map screen editing causes in-game crashes

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Siel said:
I had the NPC crash happen just now too. At first I thought it was just shops, but it turned out it was any speaking at all. I'm suspecting it was toggling Double Attack Fix that did it, but I haven't verified it, and reading ShininGeek's posts, it sounds unlikely. Some changes I'd made in the script editor a while ago had been at least visually reversed as well, bizarrely returning to the base game. On a slightly related note, everything on script pages I've tried messing around on is constantly highlighted in pink or green for some reason.

(source)

Erikin84 said:
For some reason or another, i am unable to do anything with the Map editor anymore without the game crashing everytime you talk to a NPC. Lobo said he ran into a similar problem when he was testing out the extend character option, but that isnt on and neither is extend monsters/items/classes.

It's very perplexing as i was able to save there before (as you'll see with my Brothers mod merged patch i added the new kings without much trouble) and it seems to me like the editor is saying to me in a deep country accent "your done modding here, boy" This happens with the brothers original mod, my merged patch, and my main mod. I've tried on a unmodified game and it doesnt crash, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it. It's really a bummer as if there is anything else i wanted to do within the map editor, i cant.

When I asked @Erikin84 for more details, he was able to explain:

Erkin84 said:
[...] open the rom in the SF1 editor, just save in the map editor, you dont even change anything. Start a new game and it'll crash after varios. It's very perplexing to say the least.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
I really do hope a fix can happen, this is probably the single most stressful thing about the editor for me at the moment.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
It has been fixed

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll give you that one. This was a very welcome fix indeed!