• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

WIP: The Megalodon

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
I don't typically tend to share drafts of what Dan and I are working on, but Dan's first draft of a Megalodon design has blown me away and I figured you guys might like a preview:

NVrd3hG.png

GNwE33d.png

(Down and dirty paste-job)

The Megalodon will serve as an optional superboss during Ship Battle #2, and will be the first of several superboss projects that will of course be released for free use for everybody.

Last edited:

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Very intimidating i can already see him being a very difficult boss i always thought ship battle's should be harder.

Last edited:

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Poor Ken is already dead...

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Will the megalodon go on the ship like the shellfish do? Or is there a way for it to stay in the water?

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect he was only using a screenshot of the game then placed the megalodon on top its a simple way to show what he would look like in game without all the hassle.

Dr. Doom

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
i thought so as well but one can never be sure, so i thought i'd ask

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
No worries Mon Ami! No such thing as a stupid question here!

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Will the megalodon go on the ship like the shellfish do? Or is there a way for it to stay in the water?
My plan is to have the fella patrol the waters in the far corner of the map, as if to show that he's not really allied with Runefaust or the random enemies, but just going about his business and if the player wants to earn some prestige swag, then they're free to send some Birdmen or air units over there to aggro it and 'awaken it'.

I'm not 100% if this is actually possible, so I've also considered allowing the Megalodon to parole much closer to the ship and give it an attack reach of two spaces or so, in order to prevent any possible knight/archer/spellcaster trolling for an easy kill.

I suspect he was only using a screenshot of the game then placed the megalodon on top its a simple way to show what he would look like in game without all the hassle.
Exactly - didn't have the time to import him into the game, boot up RetroArch and track down a relevent savestave, so I thought I'd ghetto-shop it. What - doesn't it look like an in-game screenshot? :p

hes huge lol. why is the shellfish behind the megalodon?
Well, I'd rather be behind the Megalodon than behind Ken, right? ;)

Edit: Dan emailed me the updated Idle 1 and Attack frames earlier today, just waiting on the Idle 2 frame and I'll get them posted.

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Why does it look like a shark?

Edit: Nevermind. Saw it called a shellfish and that threw me off. Great new enemy idea though. Would love to see it as the boss of the second sea battle.

Last edited:

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
This is using animation 0, perhaps if i used a custom animation, i could move the shark more to the left... so it's not cut off. At the moment i put that black outline on the bottom left corner of the sprite

1527160647395.png
1527160694394.png
1527160671537.png

Last edited:

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the screenshots! I hadn't yet gotten around to testing the fella in-game. But... wow... Dan really nailed the design IMO.

I see what you mean about the Meg's positioning. I imagine that if he's given Dark Dragon's positioning co-ordinates he should appear okay?

Edit: Huh, so... I can't see the option to re-position enemy battle sprites in the Animation Editor. Am I going mad or this just not possible? Does this mean that Dark Dragon's co-ords are hard coded?

Last edited: