• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Resource icon

Force Member Playable Boken

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
looks great! I would like to go on adventures with the :oops:

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
@Erikin84 and @Lynx Cheers - I'll let Dan know you guys approve!

Also, there is a boring interesting story behind the design of that portrait.

Back when Boken was designed, the ability to integrate portraits into the editor was much more limited. I can't remember exactly how, but I do recall that the only way that I knew how to add a new portrait was to overwrite an existing portrait. And that meant that the replacement portrait would have to use the exact same tiles for the blinking and speech animations. So in that regard, it was an unfortunate additional hassle for Dan to design Boken's portrait to match his concept art and ensure that his blinking and speech states lined up exactly with... well, I can't remember whose portrait he was replacing... might have been Vankar?

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
@Erikin84 and @Lynx Cheers - I'll let Dan know you guys approve!

Also, there is a boring interesting story behind the design of that portrait.

Back when Boken was designed, the ability to integrate portraits into the editor was much more limited. I can't remember exactly how, but I do recall that the only way that I knew how to add a new portrait was to overwrite an existing portrait. And that meant that the replacement portrait would have to use the exact same tiles for the blinking and speech animations. So in that regard, it was an unfortunate additional hassle for Dan to design Boken's portrait to match his concept art and ensure that his blinking and speech states lined up exactly with... well, I can't remember whose portrait he was replacing... might have been Vankar?
Well, that must have been complicated at that time x_x but it makes everything more epic, for the greater effort

You just might....
hahahaha just joked n_n xD

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Well, that must have been complicated at that time x_x but it makes everything more epic, for the greater effort

hahahaha just joked n_n xD
I'm your huckleberry... :p

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
I wouldn't have been able to tell that Dan had been working under such constraints... The result is nothing short of excellent. The original artwork didn't exactly lend itself to be converted into a portrait, in my opinion, so this turned out to be for the best. I tip my hat to Dan.

Note: I'm not actually wearing a hat, but it's the gesture that counts, right!?

Kasedete

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Loved his portrait haha :'3
But the backpack is his only one weapon?
I kinda see it as a critical strike animation ;P

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
He seems like a monk to me, if I had to choose a class.
So he wouldn't really need a weapon, but trust in his bare backpack, I mean, hands.