• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Suggestion SEGA GREATS Mod!

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Long ago (probably more than 5 years fron now) I came with an idea to replace every SF character with another Sega character.

Of course, Shinobi would fill in for Hanzou!
Toe Jam and Earl would replace Alef and Torasu.
Max should be Alex Kidd.
Gort would be Gilius.
Zylo and Bleu would come from Altered Beast.
Kokichi would be Opa Opa.
Lyle would be Space Harrier.
Sonic would fill in for Jogurt! :LOL:

And there's still a lot left to go: Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, the rest of Golden Axe.

This mod was once a project of mine.

Since you guys have already made a great deal of the resources needed for the mod, I'll just throw the idea out here.

Maybe we can acomplish that in time. :)

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
This is not too dissimilar to an idea I have been slowly building on for over two years now. I have wanted to introduce famous 16-bit era heroes and villains into SF1, whereby each new hero would be introduced towards the start of a chapter and the remainder of a chapter would see the Force face off against the new character's familiar enemies. I think I briefly talked about this when I first shared the Golden Axe-inspired Death Adder battle sprites in 2016.

I cannot begin to express how nostalgic your list made me feel - so many classic characters! I'll run through the list so you know where I'm at thought-wise -- and design-wise ;) -- on some of them:

Shinobi: Absolutely! Joe Musashi is relatively low on the to-do list, but two games I return to quite a lot are Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III, and I always feel a burst of motivation to get the character ported to SF1 every time I play. I might move this one up the list, but Promoted Hanzou is taking precedence for the moment.

Toe Jam and Earl: I love those guys! Even though I had never played the original game until my twenties, Panic on Funkotron was a game I would replay over and over again and was probably my most favourite co-op game for as long as the Mega Drive/Genesis was supported. So many memories! I actually do not currently have these guys on my list, unfortunately, but only because I don't feel like I could flesh out their chapters enough with enemies (which were just naughty children, I believe?).

Alex Kidd: Ha! Another of the greats. I had a Master System with this game built in and I would play it over and over again, probably more so than the Mega Drive/Genesis version. I don't have him on my list, but it would be cool to see him attack an enemy with his giant fist, and maybe even perform that rock-paper-scissors shuffle during his idle frames. Hehe.

Gilius: Yes, yes, yes! He is pretty much the only Golden Axe character I have yet to talk about with Dan. I actually don't know why I've left him to last - I even had the regular GA/GA2 enemies designed last year!

Altered Beast: On the to-do list! Not super high priority, but I really want to have the Centurion appear during the Unpromoted state, and the classic werewolf appear as the Promoted state. And a golden palette swapped version appear when holding a Spirit Ball or something.

Opa Opa: Adorable! Not sure if this fella will ever make it onto my list, but I'm not against organising cute new character designs.

Space Harrier: Loved this in the arcades! Recently purchased this again on the 32X and while I think it's maybe a little too futuristic for SF1, I don't want to say 'never ever' because it does hold a fond place in my heart.

Sonic: Already got you covered!;)

Last edited:

DiegoMM

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hi guys, made a account because of this post. Im thinking about this Idea os a sega force for some years too. But I dont like mixing characters of too diferent universes, my idea is use mainly the medieval sega games and a few modern ones. I have a huge list of characters and games. I plan to do that in a gamemaker engine, because I want to each characters have its signature attack music and not be limited to 30 characters.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Hey @DiegoMM! Welcome to SFMods! I think you and I share similar ideals when it comes to whom would 'fit' in the SF universe, but I also think it's pretty cool to offer something a little wacky, even if it doesn't necessarily fit. A few recent projects that my friend Dan completed involved Shovel Knight and Shiva from Streets of Rage II - I don't know if I'll even use them, I just thought that they'd make for some pretty sweet secret characters.

I have heard good things about the GameMaker engine. If you decide to press on and utilise that engine do please let us know how you get on.

DiegoMM

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Like shiva, I thought on Lan Di of Shenmue as a evil monk enemy boss.

Some sega games that fits well:
Sword of Vermillion
Beyond Oasis
Crystal Warriors
Royal Stone
Dragon Force
Monster World
and many others

Kasedete

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Shining in the darkness already has gilius if you think about it:

4150.gif

xD

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Yes!
He's been a Shining character since before all of SF characters!

I still think Gort was meant to be retired Gilius from/in the begining.

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Not that I have any current plans on how to get all the battle sprites done, but I started working on map sprites for this one.

teaser.PNG

Still not sure if I'll stick to this team or maybe use Extended Characters to add some more...

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Will Vectorman be making a appearance? He should be rather easy to do being that he is made of balls

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Will Vectorman be making a appearance? He should be rather easy to do being that he is made of balls

I thought of putting him instead of Wren.
But since the game wasn't really devolped by Sega, I went with the Phantasy Star cyborg.

Same about some late Treasure games, like Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy.

Well, maybe, if Extended Characters are to be used, they could be inserted too.

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Yes!
He's been a Shining character since before all of SF characters!

I still think Gort was meant to be retired Gilius from/in the begining.
If you want I can make you to the famous Gilius n_n

Last edited:

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hahaha
It would be great! :)

No way I can get those battle sprites done by myself.
I'll focus on editing characters, classes, spells, items, etc.
And the joining events.

DiegoMM

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Cmon 4 ps1 characters and no Nei? You really need someone from psII, its the most famous game of the classic franchise.

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I find the first one more iconic (we could argue on that on a different thread), but I guess you're right on having Nei there.

By the way, we could try to make a full list of characters that could make it to the game.

DiegoMM

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Win-win sugestion: Make alis a Alis+Myau unit, having the cat as a side kick in her battle sprite, so you can add Nei and Myau is somewhat still in the game.

B. Wulf

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Cant forget General Chaos...

However, what I think would be awesome? Put characters from PS games rendered into Genesis art, while having a force drive them off? Then do the same with Nintendo. Almost defending the platform

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Maybe Nintendo guys could be the enemies. hahaha