• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Shining force 1 and 2 remake project for pc

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
That's brilliant. Cheers, @feldc

Really thrilled to see everything taking shape so quickly.

feldc

Shining Buddy
Shining Force Remade Developer
Reaction score
Another small update, the godot repo is now up. It seems like everything is working, so hopefully I didn't break anything while migrating to github organization setup. If anyone wants to clone the project and start poking through you're able to do so. The one caveat is I don't recommend anyone start contributing code, since I'm going to be making lots of changes to the structure of the project and the scenes. I'll make another post here and on the repo when its a good time for others to start helping tackle code issues.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Thank you for your hard work, @feldc

Approximately how many months (years?) of development has gone into this project so far? Has the project grown in scope since you first started?

[...] guess I'm out of the loop in regards to Sega's stance on fan projects, always thought they had a Nintendo style cease and desist attitude.
Thinking back, this was very much the case for the Streets of Rage Remake fan project when it was shuttered in 2011 at the request of Sega. I cannot speak to why Sega would allow sites such as SonicRetro.com or the Steam WorkShop to continue hosting modified versions of original binaries, but it would seem there is some discrepancy there. Christian Whitehead's involvement in the Sonic hacking scene and later recruitment onto the Sonic Mania project also feels like a bit of a curveball from Sega.

feldc

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hey @Steve

Approximately how many months (years?) of development has gone into this project so far? Has the project grown in scope since you first started?
There's been just shy of 4 weeks of development (mostly part time), nearing 1 month in a few days. The project hasn't grown in scope yet, I'm still largely sticking to what I initially planned out for the demo.

As for the Sega stance on remakes. From what I gathered Sega of America (that oversees sonic) has a very positive attitude towards fanworks, and as long as you're not profiting from the project its mostly fine*. IPs that are overseen by Sega of Japan seem to get struck down on a seemingly random basis, some projects they don't strike down till they're basically complete, while others are nipped in the bud. No clue how they'd end up treating original Shining Force series fanworks.

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Hey @Steve

There's been just shy of 4 weeks of development (mostly part time), nearing 1 month in a few days. The project hasn't grown in scope yet, I'm still largely sticking to what I initially planned out for the demo.

As for the Sega stance on remakes. From what I gathered Sega of America (that oversees sonic) has a very positive attitude towards fanworks, and as long as you're not profiting from the project its mostly fine*. IPs that are overseen by Sega of Japan seem to get struck down on a seemingly random basis, some projects they don't strike down till they're basically complete, while others are nipped in the bud. No clue how they'd end up treating original Shining Force series fanworks.

I also add what happened with Alex Kid, where a group of Spanish fans decided to make an Alex Kid fans game and they ended up releasing the game officially with the support of Sega. I suppose if you make a good game and show it to sega and they like it, maybe it could be the case that they will support you.

and if I remember correctly, I seem to have heard that sega is not bothered by hackromes, as long as you recommend the purchase of original games (physical or digital) to use them, they would have no problem with that. (at least there is no precedent that they are not in favor)

about a new game, if what you offer is only the engine without official sega graphics. Then you will not have problems, but if you use their original or modified graphics (modifying something does not make it yours) or using official designs of them even if they were made from scratch it can bring you problems.

but there are few chances that sega will see you as a threat at the current stage of your project. n.n

feldc

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
what happened with Alex Kid, where a group of Spanish fans decided to make an Alex Kid fans game and they ended up releasing the game officially with the support of Sega...
That's cool to know, I knew about the Sonic mania being Sega reaching out and working with fan creator(s). Didn't know there were other such projects.

I seem to have heard that sega is not bothered by hackromes, as long as you recommend the purchase of original games (physical or digital) to use them ..... about a new game, if what you offer is only the engine without official sega graphics. Then you will not have problems, but if you use their original or modified graphics (modifying something does not make it yours)
This is where my project is on shaky grounds, unlike a lot of those mods or fan project built on top using an actual rom. I'm building out everything from scratch in an engine. I'm also including the official art, music, and fan reworked art, since without that it would hardly be a remake. Just a very focused and niche dev kit for srpgs in godot.

For now I'm just gonna keep going and working on things in the direction I've already been in. If Sega or someone else comes along and has issues with the project, we'll cross that bridge when it comes.