• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Why does Max wear that gauntlet?

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
I don't recall it ever been mentioned at any point during the game. Is it some sort of medieval prosthesis? I'm currently in the process of putting together a design brief for the Max to female heroin sprite set job, and as part of the feminisation, I'm really considering replacing the gauntlet with a shield, but I feel that this betrays the character; however, because it doesn't appear to be alluded to in any capacity during the western version of the game, it can't really be that it is an essential character trait, right?

For reference, here is Max with the aforementioned gauntlet:

Human_image.jpg

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Not sure, but I don't think tehre's anything special about it...
Just part of his armor/outfit.
He's using shin guards too.

Steve

Shining Supporter
Admin
Reaction score
Yeah, the shin guards make some sense, but the gauntlet has thrown me a little. I'm not sure why he didn't opt for chest armour, too. He seems to be strong enough to carry that futuristic armour in his promoted state.

Part of me wonders if perhaps Max had been maimed by an enemy before succumbing to the effects of amnesia and washing up on the shores of Guardiana. I believe that it was the Resurrection of Dark Dragon reboot that explained it was Darksol whom was behind such events?

Lobo

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
The japanese SF had that too.

Max has amnesia from the beggining and had been found by Lowe near Guardiana.
Later on, in Dragonia, Kane tells him that Darksol fought both of them before.
And later Adam explain such thing happened in Metapha, and that's the reason for Max's amnesia and Kane's mind slavery.
Adam also says that Chaos was originally 'Kane's Adam', which had been reprogrammed by Darksol.

Kasedete

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
i always wanted max to have a chest piece... something like the first armor of Seiya from Saint Seiya haha

latest

Lynx

Shining Supporter
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Yeah, the shin guards make some sense, but the gauntlet has thrown me a little. I'm not sure why he didn't opt for chest armour, too. He seems to be strong enough to carry that futuristic armour in his promoted state.

Part of me wonders if perhaps Max had been maimed by an enemy before succumbing to the effects of amnesia and washing up on the shores of Guardiana. I believe that it was the Resurrection of Dark Dragon reboot that explained it was Darksol whom was behind such events?
It reminds me of Jaime Lannister (game of throne) and his golden handm
I would give more drama to the story of max having passed that

MienshaoX

Shining Supporter
Reaction score
Upon closer inspection i think that gauntlet of his is more of a guard of sorts. Duelist's way back when used these special gauntlets to block attacks without the hassle of using a shield. Although most duelists back then had a full piece of armor that covered the blocking arm. This could explain why Max fights with only one hand so his other hand can block or grab the opposing blade.

RedArcher

Shining Buddy
Pixel Artist
Contributor
Reaction score
That also explains unpromoted Nick's guard animation, where he's blocking the incoming attack using hand covered with a gauntlet.

Last edited: