• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Shining Force: Unlikely Alliance

Shining Force: Unlikely Alliance V1.0 Hotfix

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Erikin84 updated Shining Force: Unlikely Alliance with a new update entry:

Save Fix

This mod now uses XenoMetal's 6mb save patch for Genesus Plus.
-If you wish to use Everdrive as your emulator, do the following:

1 . Go to https://community.sfmods.com/resources/save-game-restoration-for-sf1edit-6mb-expanded-rom.261/

2. Apply this mod's ips patch first

3. Apply the Anti-patch for the Genesis Plus version.

4. Apply the Everdrive patch and you'll be all set!

Read the rest of this update entry...

melon-man

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Thanks for this Erikin! Just finished a playthru and it was a great shake-up of the cast. And the plot has some twists I did not expect!

I liked all the new characters and thought they played well together - each character seemed to provide their own benefits and I was able to keep modifying my line-up throughout as characters fell behind and new member joined with levels, which was fun since it meant I got to try out a bunch of the characters.

I did think the Elixia spell ended up being a bit OP (Aura 4 character + Elixia 2 character = infnite healing duo!), but still great fun, and I'm unsure there would be any real fix for that beyond massive nerfs to Elixia 2. I like feeling powerful anyways - with Shining Force I find that if you want a real tough challenge you need to add your own restrictions (like permadeath). Maybe I'll do a run with some restrictions some time in the future.

Also <3 thank you for removing that one battle through the mountains and woods. All the battles you left in felt good, none felt miserable with 1000 turns of slowly walking through terrain. So thank you!

Runesamurai

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I love this. And I replied to your message on sfcentral by the way. I thank you from the depths of my heart.

burlew68

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hi, how do I go about downloading the mods for Shining Force as I never have on here before? I have downloaded a Sega Genesis Emulator and Shining Force Rom and have downloaded this mod but can't figure out how to use it. Thanks!

Last edited:

melon-man

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
@burlew68
You need to use an IPS patching tool to apply the .ips file to the (original) ROM to generate a new modded ROM file.

A quick online search found this service: https://bbbradsmith.github.io/ipstool/
Looks like it runs using JS in your browser w/o uploading anything anywhere, so you can save the page on your device and use it offline in the future, which is nice.

Once you've used the IPS patching tool to generate a new .bin file, you should be able to use it like any other ROM and play it on your emulator.

burlew68

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
@burlew68
You need to use an IPS patching tool to apply the .ips file to the (original) ROM to generate a new modded ROM file.

A quick online search found this service: https://bbbradsmith.github.io/ipstool/
Looks like it runs using JS in your browser w/o uploading anything anywhere, so you can save the page on your device and use it offline in the future, which is nice.

Once you've used the IPS patching tool to generate a new .bin file, you should be able to use it like any other ROM and play it on your emulator.
Ok, I did that and it worked. Can the same thing be done with Alternate? I tried but it didn't generate a new IPS patch.