• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Kindan No Hako

Kindan No Hako v3.1.1

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Tyadran updated Kindan No Hako with a new update entry:

2.0.0 Update

Hey! Coming in with version 2.0.0, incorporating some feedback that was received, as well as implementing chest randomization and more control over spells.

View attachment 5265

As seen at the bottom of the window, randomizing the game will now generate a seed which can be shared with other users to generate the same random game! Or to recreate the same randomization for yourself, should you need to.

View attachment 5266

A "Spells" tab has been added, with the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

v2.0.2 Quick Fix

v2.0.2 (5/6/2023)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Major]
- HEALs and VICRs using Khris's sprites will now properly start with a weapon.
- Fixed sprite generation unhandled exception.
- Fixed spell culling removing spells from last characters by ID rather than
from characters with the most spells.

[Minor]
- Adjusted chances for the max levels of Flare, Sleet, and Static.
- Fixed an infinite loop with Caster Limit conflicting with SF1 Class...

acsound

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hi, Tyadran:

Is there a read me file for this? Sorry; found the read me. I've tried to patch this, then run the patched SF1 file to play the randomized game w/my selected settings, but I get a black screen w/no button response. There's a message up top (on the program/app window) pulling from the randomizer log, but I can't play the randomized file.

Should I apply the IPS patch to an expanded ROM? (I had applied it to a regular ROM.)

UPDATE: It looks like I should just try to randomize the ROM w/o the included IPS patch...? (the read me says "unmodified"....)

Last edited:

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hi, Tyadran:

Is there a read me file for this? Sorry; found the read me. I've tried to patch this, then run the patched SF1 file to play the randomized game w/my selected settings, but I get a black screen w/no button response. There's a message up top (on the program/app window) pulling from the randomizer log, but I can't play the randomized file.

Should I apply the IPS patch to an expanded ROM? (I had applied it to a regular ROM.)

UPDATE: It looks like I should just try to randomize the ROM w/o the included IPS patch...? (the read me says "unmodified"....)
Hmm, the intended method of usage is to apply the IPS patch to a normal copy of SF1, and then randomize that, which should work fine.

What emulator are you using? Did you close the randomizer before trying to play the game (in case the file was still open somehow)? You're sure you don't accidentally have the emulator paused or anything?

Kega Fusion is what I recommend to play with and I haven't experienced any issues with it - it sounds like it's most likely.

ACTUALLY, if there's a message pulling from the randomizer log, like this:
1683568618385.png
...that means you tried to load the log file, not the actual ROM. If you select the actual .bin you should get this message:
1683568669608.png

Make sure that your randomized ROM and your log file are saved as different files. I think you might have saved the log file over the actual ROM. It should be saved as a separate file with a .txt extension.

acsound

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Using Kega Fusion. My log files are saving as proper text files, in the same folder as the IPS and the BIN, w/the randomizer. No, the emulator (Kega) wasn't paused when I tried to run the ROM; it just showed a black screen w/the FPS at the bottom.

As for my IPS patcher, I've been making sure that it's not running as a "background process" before starting up the patched/randomized BIN file through Kega.

I patched a clean copy of the ROM and followed the randomizer steps in the read me, but when I patch and randomize the ROM, it's too big for Kega -- it doesn't think that the game is a Genesis game.

Should I leave the randomizer running? I've been closing the randomizer before starting the BIN file through Kega.

UPDATE: I've got the game running on Kega now, but on the first battle, I can only have one character w/Max in my party (even though the game gives you five). Maybe this issue will resolve itself...?

UPDATE-2: It looks like it did resolve itself. It may help if you don't enter Headquarters before the first battle--b/c most of your Force won't be active.

Last edited:

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
The randomizer shouldn't be running when you play, but really it shouldn't matter. I'll double-check that.

The patch the randomizer uses should expand the ROM to 4 MB, as do a large number of SF1 mods. Is your file size different than that?

The party size issue is interesting. Someone else mentioned the same issue, and I'm sure it has to do with shuffling join positions, which isn't a feature I've done a ton of tests with and I feel like is likely an issue with the way SF1 handles party size. What resolved the issue for you?

acsound

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
I started a new game, and just didn't go into the Guardiana HQ to look over my initial party.

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

3.0.0 Update

v3.0.0 is here!
Aside from a number of updates, entirely new features are available!
View attachment 5315

The flagship feature is
Battle Randomization!
You can now enable battle randomization, which will entirely randomize all enemies (except bosses) throughout the game!
Checks are in place to make sure enemies stay around the same difficulty as normal (so don't be too afraid of Blue Dragons in Alterone), but it could...

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

3.0.1 Update

v3.0.1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [Major]
- (Bugfix) Lizardmen and Berserkers now only have a 10% chance to spawn with a Heat Axe, instead of 100% as intended

[Minor]
- Changed the minimum battle Static 3 can be given to enemies from 7 to 15 (the first battle of Chapter 5)
- (Bugfix) Scurvy Sailors can now spawn on water tiles as intended

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

v3.1.0 release

Originally this was supposed to be 3.0.2, with only minor changes and bugfixes, but I got carried away.
Enjoy some new weapons and shop randomization!
Full changelog below.
View attachment 5328
View attachment 5327

v3.1.0
[Major]
- Shops can now be randomized
- Randomized chests can no longer be empty
- Starting stats for pre-promoted units have been reduced
- Land Effect bug fix and...

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score

v3.1.1 release

Please note that 3.1.1 requires a new .ips patch, included in the updated download!

v3.1.1
[Major]
- Shop inventories should no longer be bugged
- Chests in battles should no longer give strange coin amounts

[Minor]
- Palettes for custom weapons should be corrected

Geramel

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hello first off I love the idea of this mod and wanna check it out. however I followed all the instructions and have tried twice from scratch, but I always get a Checksum incorrect error. could anyone help please?

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hello first off I love the idea of this mod and wanna check it out. however I followed all the instructions and have tried twice from scratch, but I always get a Checksum incorrect error. could anyone help please?
Hi! Unfortunately, there will probably always be a "checksum incorrect" error, as is often the case with mods. However, this shouldn't impact your ability to play the game.

Are you using the Fusion emulator? Check if you have the emulator paused - if the emulator is paused and you open the game, you will see the error, and the game will not start. Otherwise, you should see the error but the game should start regardless.

If you're using the right emulator and it still isn't working, I'll need to figure out what else could be causing your problem.

Keif

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Fusion runs the rando just fine, you just can't do Quick Save States (a common issue with many a ROM hack on there.)

Deyubry

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Tyadran submitted a new resource:

Kindan No Hako
Shining Force 1 Randomizer

(Click here to view the resource page...)

Hey! I'm currently working on creating a randomizer for implementation with archipelago.gg multi-world randomizers and I wanted to ask a huge favor since you have been able to create a working randomizer here.

I've been struggling with understanding the game code and determining the best way to go about handling randomization since I'm new to both game modding in general and 68k ASM. If you would be willing to provide any of the following I would be extremely grateful:

• Detailed disassembly of the game code. (I found one, but it seems to only have some of the functions figured out.)
  • Source code for your randomizer for reference. (If you have already posted it somewhere I haven't been able to locate it.)
  • An explanation on how your randomizer handles the different types of randomization. (chests, battles, shops)
I understand if this is too much to ask for, but I figured I'd ask in case there's any way I can make this easier for myself before I get to deep into it. Thanks in advance! :geek:

Quentin

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Tried it with Kega Fusion on a duplicate SF1 copy I got on my PC. Spells, items, chests, and shops didn't randomize, but everything else did. Any suggestions?

Tyadran

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Tried it with Kega Fusion on a duplicate SF1 copy I got on my PC. Spells, items, chests, and shops didn't randomize, but everything else did. Any suggestions?
Hmm, interesting.
I assume you applied the .ips patch as noted in the _README file before randomization, and had those options turned on in the settings?